Sunday, August 16, 2026

And sometimes Spider-Man has to do the hard thing, even if it breaks Peter Parker's heart.

Spider-Man: Brand New Day — 4/5

I just absolutely loved that, from moment to moment, I had no idea what was going to happen next. Who is this villain? Why are they unfamiliar to me? Is this a comic I never read? It was beautiful feeling, being surprised. And what it opens up for Spider-Man is that it's not, like, Norman Osborne showing up, and you knowing he's going to heel-turn into a colorful villain. A universe has been created, and its curators get to explore it in new, oddball directions, only needing to keep the center pure: Peter Parker is Spider-Man, and he has to carry the weight of love and loss that comes with it. I described the ending of the last movie as "the most Peter Parker-ass thing I've ever seen" and this movie carries that weight throughout. Spider-Man shoulders goodness like it's a thing that can't be put down or he'll lose sight of it. With the ending of 'Endgame' and the loss of the Marvel center, the movie feels like a subtle repositioning of Spider-Man as the moral core to the remaining universe. He swings past 5th avenue and sees Hulk and the Punisher and sure, White Widow, why not, everyone's just a step to the left or right of this guy. And they all love him! And are changed by him! What a wonderful experience, as a Spider-Man fan, to see him in a movie where everyone loves him and is changed by him. There's a trope I kinda hate where someone's not in their right headspace and only that one person who is willing to talk them out of it rather than resorting to violence can save them. (I think that was the ending of Captain America 3? And I guess Thunderbolts?) The only difference is that I actually believe Peter Parker can do it. I think he can make the Hulk feel more human. I absolutely do think Peter Parker can make the Punisher a better person. I think this movie will become a 3.5/5 as surprise wears off; these movies fall apart under scrutiny. (I don't know if that whole spider-puberty thing really did amount to anything?) But they're not really a thing I wish to scrutinize. I fucking love these people, and I've been reading and watching them for thirty years and I could keep reading and watching them for another thirty. I don't say that as 'it's a guilty pleasure, just let me have this,' I say that as a 'please don't tear these movies down and take them away from me.' They're imperfect, but what they get right is that they are, at times, incredible displays of the triumph of goodness that can rarely be matched elsewhere. 

No comments: