Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Smiths??????

500 Days of Summer - 8/10. Another movie I feel I have to ask forgiveness for its transgressions before I can recommend for it, uh, being a really good movie. To keep it short, it peppers a v. v. compelling love story with trailer-made moments that more serve to get people to see it than for me to like it. Stock wise little girls, bright colors, a fair amount of set design, whimsy, Morrissey, and IKEA fill out the edges. To its credit, it forgets and you forget to focus on any one of those things for any amount of time. It makes me wonder if I want to be hard on it because it places what I'll offer up as a universally-appealing story on the shoulders of a certain type of people in a certain type of place in a certain type of culture.

No comments: