Monday, August 10, 2009

Fuck you, Adrian Tomine.

Paper Heart - 7/10. There was a comic book I read called 'Blankets.' It was of a batch of late '90s, early '00s indie comic books that defined 'real' as 'boring.' To wit: an IMDB user who uses these words to describe this movie: 'Paper Heart doesn't have any real direction, but neither does life.' What's my point. Oh, yeah. I thought 'Blankets' was based on a real story. After reading the book, which is long, and boring, I excused the deeper recesses of it being boring by chalking it up to being real, and I guess if it really happened, then there's some kernel of truth to be gained. But at the end of the book, the author admitted that it wasn't real. Which maybe it's my fault. But it means there wasn't any kernel of truth to be gained. It was just fucking boring. Anyway. This movie wasn't boring. But neither was it real. And it passing itself off as real, by mixing it with real-defined-as-real stories, which are wonderfully handled, the moviemakers end up just defrauding the entire thing.

No comments: