Sunday, November 8, 2009

It needed more Arcade Fire.

Where The Wild Things Are - 7.5/10. A movie for kids, if kids were daft enough to get its message, which is sort of cynical of me to presume, I guess. Max is confronted with himself and is excited and aggravated and confused and bored in different measure. He's not so much a king as a parent, looking at himself and realizing that he needs to fucking grow up a little. The movie's about kids and how they do, but it's not about Childhood, and the Triumph of Imagination as suggested in that trailer, and I'm not asking that it be, but it doesn't feel final -- there was no crescendo, no grand realization, just that boredom that comes with playing a game too long. As a friend suggested, and I paraphrase -- it was a nice film, but I wanted a movie.

No comments: