Wednesday, April 21, 2021

I remember.

Minari – 4/5

I feel like I grew up inside this movie. The trailer, the yellow refrigerator, the Mountain Dew, the peeing in bed; those were all mine. I've rarely seen myself in movies as I saw myself in this movie about people who look nothing like me. So that's nice. Nostalgia aside, there is a rich world with rich characters and a lovely grandma and a denouement that almost almost almost touches something special. For a hot minute, it was about two people who simply had contradictory views of how to live the rest of their lives. Staying together out of a love that was no longer there; surrounded by reminders of their love in their children but only staying together out of that memory of a love. That was good. I'd like to have seen how that turned out. It's braver to leave someone than to rush in to a burning building to save them. But hey, if it felt like this all the time, it'd be hard for me to leave, too. It makes me want to go back.

No comments: