Tuesday, January 24, 2023

How's the despair?

Banshees of Inisherin — 3.5/5

It's grown in my mind since I watched it nearly a month ago, perhaps because I just love the idea behind it so much (which I will now spoil here): the friend doesn't want to be friends anymore because the other person is dull and as such wasting his time, leaving no room for artistic endeavor, and friendship alone leaves no eternal legacy. And I relate to that!! Be careful of the people you let into your life as they may not desire to leave. All people are potential vampires waiting for an invitation; then sucking the potential out of you with their eternal presence. I unfortunately did not get along so well with the humor throughout. Everyone's good if not great in their role and everything runs like clockwork, but the tone that Martin McDonough weaves throughout feels incorrect, and something that bugs me in most of his movies. It's clearly written as a joke, but it's more sad than funny. And I suppose that's okay and that's where my expectations going in may have warped it and where another viewing may save it. There's something there and I feel I may return to it again someday; an ulcer in my mouth that I'll keep prodding with my tongue. In this way, it's in the same camp as 'Bringing Out The Dead.'

No comments: