Sunday, July 2, 2023

It would be best for all of us if you would just stop being who you are and doing the things you love.

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story – 2.5/5

I was holding out hope that Weird Al was less involved in this than he was. I have never really loved Weird-Al-as-musician, but I absolutely love Weird-Al-who-makes-video, and I wanted to be able to easily point at some of the jokes and say 'that's Weird Al's voice,' unmistakable, and point to others and say 'that's somebody else fucking it up.' And I do think when it succeeds, it's because it sounds and feels like Weird Al, but when it fails, it's become some College Humor-ass director doesn't know what the fuck they're doing. But the credits roll and I guess Weird Al's fingerprints are all over the place so, fun, he gets to share the blame. Nah, fuck it, I'll still blame the other guy.

No comments: