Saturday, November 15, 2008

The greatest trick.

Needful Things - 6.5/10. Wonderful idea for a movie, I am in love with this idea for a movie, but it's from the 'In The Mouth of Madness' school of either unskilled or uncaring filmmakers. The Debil comes to Castle Rock and opens an antique store, where everyone who enters finds something they've always wanted, or that they've lost, and he's willing to lower the price if they'll just do him this small favor. These small betrayals of their own morality, in order to get what they want. I love the idea of the devil as less of a guy who 'tries real hard' and more as moving one small thing and watching it roll downhill. Less prognostic, more deterministic. It's just here he's more of a 'haha, I'm the devil! What's a guy to do? What is a guy to do?' wink-wink nudge-nudge. I wish he didn't become so sinister and more just sat and watched, sat and watched. By the end, everything of course boils to a head and the movie just didn't sell itself as being big enough. It should have been more of what people are willing to sacrifice of themselves to get what they want, and their stubborn-ness in giving it back. I want to remake this. Also, one of my favorite movie titles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the book is more like how you wanted it. i read it in eighth grade, it was my first stephen king book.

-alex