Monday, January 11, 2021

He comforts her. They spark. That's the lightning. They kiss. Thunder.

 Top Hat – 2.5/5

It's baby's first Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers' joint. And if it's the best, as they say, I don't think I entirely understand the pairing. He, I get, all lightness, all air. And what's said of her is that she did it all backwards, and high heels. Props to you, ma'am, indeed, no disrespect intended, but that sounds like work, and Fred Astaire as seen on-screen has never worked a day in his life. You were keeping up and he, simply, was. 

This movie I will also use as a jumping-off point for why I have lately found it difficult to write these little things. I used to think a whole of a movie was everything, looking for perfection from front to back and everything against that was a half-a-point docked. And well, not to overly simplify a bigger rationale and how larger cultural trends fit into it, but it's fine to just have some good spots. There's some good spots in here. 

Watched 1/9/21

No comments: