Wednesday, May 4, 2022

How broken I am.

Dear Evan Hansen – 1/5

The criticism gets piled on how the main actor looks when I think the pointing fingers should follow the line all the way down the spine of this thing. I'd love to stop at the notch called 'Stephen Chbosky' because boy oh boy is he a bad filmmaker who makes bad choices: Ben Platt's hair, Ben Platt's hunched shoulders, Ben Platt's moist upper lip, the anxiety-induced breathlessness in Ben Platt's songs that at least doesn't seem to be there in the original cast soundtrack; the complete lack of artistry apparent in everything he's ever done. But I think the finger has to keep going further back and through to the source material: cloying, optimistic, believe-in-yourself songs placed in the mouths of awful people who are doing awful thingsThere is dissonance here, and I can not bring the two things together in my mind.

No comments: