Monday, February 27, 2023

Thank you, Spider-Man.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — 3.5/5

I enjoyed it!! I enjoyed it the most of all the Ant-Man movies, even. The movie realizes Paul Rudd's Scott Lang's Ant-Man works best as the side character in an ensemble, and so it surrounds him with a team of people to react to. I still don't buy Paul Rudd as an actor who can do anything more than be a joke trying to play itself seriously; he can't carry an emotional weight. But the people around him help to share the burden. Even though it's a team effort, not everyone is given their equal moment to shine, which I would say is the movie's major flaw. Beyond that, I think people are uncomfortable by the constant tone-shifting in the movie, from Jonathan Majors' "serious actor" sensibilities and Kang's high-stakes drama standing next to a giant face with tiny arms, but I found it fun. It allowed the movie to be surprising, leading up to Marvel's most interesting villain yet: anxiety. Did Scott do the right thing? Did he do the wrong thing?
¯\ _(ツ)_/¯ 

No comments: