Friday, June 16, 2023

Stand in front of the public, and God, and obliterate yourself.

Tar – 3.5/5

Man, I don't even know if I like this movie as much as I'm interested by it. My main takeaway is take away about an hour of long, drawn-out scenes and you've got a pretty effective dark comedy. I successfully was able to play a shitty iPhone game from 2012 while still managing to feel as though I watched this movie well enough to warrant reviewing it. "Narcissism" is a classification that will always get me interested, if just to learn a little more about what makes them so fucking awful. Thus, my second takeway is this: lying to others starts with lying to yourself. If you reveal your betrayals of others, you would have to then admit to the core betrayal of yourself. And that, simply, cannot stand. Here then is narcississm's countdown, with the tell-tale heart of a ticking metronome. At the end of the countdown lies not the end, but the beginning of a new lie; a new story to tell yourself. And if you don't like the way it sounds, just turn the volume louder.

No comments: